Lew Hodgett

Doug Dotson wrote:
That's correct. My 160 amp alternator is cold rated at 160. At operating
temperature (too hot to touch) it only puts out around 135 or so. The
160 figure is really a marketing figure.

Another fine example of a tinker toy alternator.

Most of the so called marine alternators are just that, tinker toy
alternators.

Most are cold rated, strictly a marketing gimmick.

A true heavy duty alternator is hot rated, not cold.

At least they were when I was involved in their design a long time ago.

If you want to see some real alternators, look at Leece-Neville.

A 200 amp alternator is truly a hot rated 200 amp alternator, not some
toy that has to be derated if you read the fine print.

Of course, it will cost more, there ain't no free lunch.

Lew