trainfan1

Mike G wrote:

To refresh. I've got an "85" OMC 1.6L seadrive with a 13 1/4 X 17 prop
on it that needs replacing.

The nice folks at West Marine were kind enough to send me a huge catalog
full of things I can't afford but, since replacing the prop is a
necessity that was one of the things that got some serious attention.

My question relates to the ProPulse composite material, adjustable pitch
prop. I'm figuring on dropping over there sometime next week to take a
look at one and the Michigan Wheel Vortex but until then.....

West lists the flex of the composite as about the same as the aluminum
prop so I figure that and the reduced weight over an aluminum prop is
going to be a plus. Don't bother with that little item, you won't change
my mind. I've been working on my own vehicles, cars and motorcycles,
since I was fourteen and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that
the less hardware you have to sling around the more the horses get
translated into power output.

So, anyone with any experience with these props?

Further, from the chart I will either have to sacrifice a 1/4" on the
diameter or gain 3/4" since the props appear to come, as far as my needs
go, in only 13" or 14". What can I expect in operation if I sacrifice
the 1/4" or go for the 3/4" gain? Assuming I keep the 17" pitch that is.

Here's a thanks up front.

You're not going to thank too many people.

Don't do it(composite).

They make fine lightweight spares, that won't ding up your stowage area,
but are a performance compromise.

Your weight arguement doesn't hold water, either(pun intended).

Best performance with the OMCDrive is achieved with the arguably
heavier, but much better design of a stainless prop similar to the
aluminum you have been using... much better bite, thinner blades, better
balance. You will achieve a better running attitude under way - faster
- with more boat out of the water properly trimmed.

Of course, if you like the prop you have now, why not just have it
reconditioned? Most experienced, reputable shops can often make them
better than new.

Rob