Dave Hall

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 15:36:57 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

"Dave Hall" wrote in message

What I consider brutality is when the cops use more force than
necessary, or when they use force when the perpetrator is sufficiently
restrained.

How about when the cops use deadly force to bring down someone who has
done nothing wrong, or is reaching for his wallet to produce ID?

There is a simple way to avoid being shot by the cops. When instructed
to freeze, you do so, and place your hands in the air in a
non-threatening posture. Making moves which could be interpreted as
aggressive is a sure fire way to get a bullet through the chest.

A cop is under life threatening circumstances every day. In many cases
he has a split second to make the decision to use deadly force. If he
hesitates too long, HE might become the victim.

I know a bunch of cops, one of which is a neighbor. I do not envy
their jobs. The have a lot of responsibility and seemingly diminishing
support from the community. While there are certainly some "bad" cops,
who do not deserve to wear the badge, I hold no ill will toward a cop
who shoots someone who makes a threatening gesture our of either
defiance or stupidity.

Dave