Don

I often don't use an external antenna, but the SMC card has a removeable
plastic antenna and micro-coax connectors (MMCX) for an external antenna.
The SMC part numbers and nextwarehouse.com SKU numbers are

SMCANT-OM5 $22.37 ANTENNA EXTERNAL OMNI W/MMCX (nextwarehouse 46227)
SMC2532W-B $54.86 Elite Connect 2.4GHZ 802.11B HIGH POWER WIRELESS
PCMCIA (nextwarehouse 46183)

SMC has other antennas and higher-speed cards also - see www.smc.com

The removeable plastic antenna is a bit fragile - the first day I had this
card my dog got tangled in the laptop power cord and pulled my laptop to the
carpeted floor. No damage except that plastic antenna got mangled and it
pulled one of the connectors out. There was no damage to the card itself -
it's well encased in a metal shell. However, a replacement antenna cost me
$20 from SMC. I know one guy who leaves the PCMCIA card in his computer all
the time and just plugs the antenna in when needed. I worried that this
might cause problems - running the transmitter circuitry into an open
unterminated load - but he has not had any problems in a year of daily use.
I keep my cheap Netgear card in the computer most of the time and only put
the SMC card in when needed. It's hot-swappable.

Don

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
What antenna are you using with the SMC card? What kind of connector does
it take to plug into it?

--
Glenn Ashmore