Don

I'm certainly not suggesting connections to non-public services. While I do
often see "mystery" SSIDs I have not joined the ranks of hunter-gatherers
that jump onto any available wifi link. Marina sites are becoming more
prevalent (as are RV sites, etc) and for my occasional use I will pay $7 for
a 24-hour period. The gripe is when I can't get a reliable connection in an
area that has wifi advertised.

Don

"Vic Fraenckel" wrote in message
.. .
I'm wondering about the legality of just poking an antenna up and using
any
old service that happens to be in the neighborhood. Granted, people are
stupid for not securing their wifi network, but there is no getting around
the fact that to use someone else's broadband connection with out their
permission is theft-of-service. Also, doing so diminishes the "owner's"
bandwidth. You should also know that a diligent "owner" can find out if
there is an unauthorized connection to "his" network by simply querying
his
WAP.

Just my 2 cents.

Vic

Victor Fraenckel - The Windman
victorf ATSIGN windreader DOTcom
KC2GUI

Home of the WindReader Electronic Theodolite
Read the WIND

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough
men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell