Johnhh

Actually Don, their "Networked Boat" package is just what I need, but I
just can't justify the $750 price tag on it. I don't have a good enough
grasp of Wi-Fi hardware to know what I can get as a lower cost substitute -
I'm afraid I'd end up spending that much anyway getting things that didn't
work with their system. I just haven't found anything yet that I feel
confident in.

I couldn't even get on line until I got the high power card and 6dbi
interior antenna. Since I have a sailboat, I usually can't get good enough
reception from in the cabin.

John

"Don" wrote in message
Broadband Xpress has their "Networked Boat" package that seems like just
what you're looking for. Pricey, though, and I'd bet you can find the
components elsewhere for less money.

I've found BBX to provide very good service, but not until I replaced my
standard wifi PCMCIA card with a high-power card such as the one sold by
BBX for $109. I was able to buy that exact same card (made by SMC) for
$55 from nextwarehouse.com. Made a huge difference - testing with my
standard Netgear card at 30% signal, up to 100% with the SMC card. Adding
the 6dbi indoor antenna is often not needed, but it does help in extreme
cases. I have been reaching it out the cabin hatch and just setting it on
the coachroof.

Don

"Matt O'Toole" wrote in message
Johnhh wrote:

I currently use a high power PCMCIA card with a 6dbi omni indoor
antennae. This works well for 1/4 to 1/2 mile if I put the antenna on
the cabin roof, but this is very impractical, especially if it is
raining. What I would like to do is mount a permanent exterior
antennae and run it through a network bridge to my own onboard
wireless network. Can anyone recommend a good high power bridge and
antennae?

This is exactly what I'd like to do. I'd like to find an omni antenna w/
bridge
to mount on the mast or someplace. If the bridge puts out a healthy
signal,
there would be no need to run wires except for power. For that matter, a
few
solar cells and a battery inside might take care of that issue too, for a
completely self containted unit. I'm quite surprised no one seems to be
targeting boaters with kits like this, especially considering the
"yachtsman's
discount" to be tacked on. (Does it work with no hassle? Write the guy
check!)

I've been trying to use marina WiFi networks with little success. Most
of them
really stink, with little coverage and weak signals. I'm often wandering
the
docks carrying my laptop, looking for just the right spot to get enough
reception to do anything. The prices companies like Broadband Xpress
charge are
pretty aggressive. Considering the service is useless more often than
not, it
winds up being a bit of a ripoff. However, if I had a good antenna setup
it
might actually be useful. With all this supposed WiFi access around, I'm
still
checking my email through a cell phone. Currently the best strategy is
to find
a nearby coffeehouse, which often have free WiFi.

Matt O.