Clams Canino

Default NEW Boat Profit Margins

Oh yes.....

It *should be* simple. But there's so many little sytems interacting, that
rigging out a new boat can be "challanging". I did my own this year and had
a few "teething problems" and Cod knows I was motivated to get everything
right the *1st* time.

Bolting the engine on is the easy part, you have to get the throttle /
shifter, ignition harness, gauages and harness, and charging system all
"intigrated" to the boats pre-rigged electrics. I still need to screw with
the "hot-horn" sender to be at 100% perfect.

My local dealership has "kids" doing a lot of the setup stuff. Now, I know
what *I* went through and I'm kind of a savvant when it comes to this
automotive crap, I can just imagine what a kid with a manual goes through.
Zero defect my ass, expect teething problems and allow time to sort them
out.

-W

(Oh - specify 3M 5200 as the sealant where the outboard bolts on. I've seen
bastiches using clear silicone seal!!)

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message

Bear in mind that during the busiest part of the season most repair
facilities are overloaded with work and for the most part understaffed
(which tend to be under trained if they are seasonal hires). If they
have made a sale and rigging the boat is a prerequisite to getting
paid, all warranty claims and repairs will go to the back of the
line.... and pretty much stay there as long as "sold-boats" are
waiting to be rigged. Warranty claims and repairs are worked in
"stand-by" between sales.

60-90 days is about right.

PS
This scenario also describes why there are so many problems with
rigging. Dealership practice is to "get 'em on the water" ASAP,
collect the sales amount, and deal with the returns and "other issues"
later... at their convenience.

It is just the nature of the beast and is the source of most of the
frustrations with dealers.

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/cavern/

Homepage
http://www.southharbourvillage.com/directions.asp Where

Southport,NC is located.