Dave Hall

Default Say NO NO NO to Wal-Mart!!!

jps wrote:

In article ,
says...
jps wrote:

In article ,
says...

Sounds to me like you are taking power from the people and shipping it
to Washington.

Jerk,

Individual states would be welcome to exceed Federal standards if their
elected officials saw fit to pass legislation supporting such policies.

A Federal standard would ensure that, under no circumstances would
people be treated at less than a minimum standard.

So perhaps you can explain how that's not giving people power?

It's not giving the "people" power. It's giving government's power.

Dave

By setting a minimum standard of regard for human beings? I can't
imagine any reasoning that'd convince me that the power we give the
government to make this mandate wouldn't be worth it.

It's not taking power away from people, it's ensuring their well-being.

But the "power" is not theirs. Their "well-being" is at the whim of the
government.

Give it a shot if you must Dave but I think you'd be better off moving
onto an argument that's defensible.

You made the claim "power to the people", which is incorrect anytime you
have to depend on government to provide for you. True "power to the
people" would be the individual's power to determine their own destiny
independant of any governmental entity.

Dave

jps