DSK

Was your Townie built by Lowell?

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
I had to look it up in my logbook and it took a minute to find - yes,
it was a Lowell and was refit by John Cunningham (of Cunningham Dory
fame) after some damage in 1955. I believe they are still made by
Lowell, but now in fiberglass. Somebody once told me that there are
only a few, like 300 or so, of the wooden Townies left.

I'd call that a lot among small old one-designs. A lot of classes never
had that many boats built in the first place! But a lot of them weren't
as nice, either.

I don't own the boat anymore, my brother does.

So you can still sail it if you ever want to?

Never sailed the Indian, but I have sailed a 101, bunch of different J
class boats, two different 12 meter trial Cup boats (one of which was
built in Marblehead at the Lower Hood shipyard) and one February
afternoon in 15 mph wind and temps down around 15, a Frostbite race
which was the most miserable experience I've ever had. :)

Yep... you have to be obsessed beyond all reason to enjoy frostbiting...
I love it because the wind is usually better and people don't start
tacking duels out of boredom... also I have three or four good wetsuits,
so freezing isn't a problem

Fresh Breezes- Doug King