Short Wave Sportfishing

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 12:34:07 -0500, DSK wrote:

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
I bow to your superior knowledge of sail boats.

It's not just sailboats

Like I said, I bow to your superior...yada, yada, yada. :)

I sailed when I was a kid and owned a Towne class for club racing and
I even sailed in a Marblehead to Bermuda race.

It's really not my thing though.

Was your Townie built by Lowell?

I had to look it up in my logbook and it took a minute to find - yes,
it was a Lowell and was refit by John Cunningham (of Cunningham Dory
fame) after some damage in 1955. I believe they are still made by
Lowell, but now in fiberglass. Somebody once told me that there are
only a few, like 300 or so, of the wooden Townies left.

I don't own the boat anymore, my brother does.

Did you have one of those old fashioned spinnakers?

I seem to remember that it had the rigging for it, but I don't believe
that I ever used it.

They are great boats, really classic. I've been to regattas
up in New England where there were Towns racing, would like to try one.
I have sailed an Indian which IIRC is the Town's big sister.

http://www.doryclub.org/townclass/tchistory.htm

Never sailed the Indian, but I have sailed a 101, bunch of different J
class boats, two different 12 meter trial Cup boats (one of which was
built in Marblehead at the Lower Hood shipyard) and one February
afternoon in 15 mph wind and temps down around 15, a Frostbite race
which was the most miserable experience I've ever had. :)

Later,

Tom