swatcop

Default Rec.boats ??

"noah" wrote in message
On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 12:17:33 GMT, "swatcop"

wrote:

"Bill Andersen" wrote in message
you're missing the point.
the point is that this newsgroup is "rec.boats" and all the other crap

is
posted here.
there shouldn't be a need for filters. except to omit Krause.
some people think they are the only ones with radio, tv or newspapers,

and
feel obligated to repeat the news here.
some people obviously have no one to talk with, so they post their

opinions
here.

Well, fortunately for us this is still a FREE country and that sort of
behavior is tolerated here without a need for "newsgroup police." It's
kinda' like a radio - if you don't like what the station is playing, then
turn the knob. Wasting your time posting a message telling everyone what

we
already know is pointless. We've already figured out how to "turn the

knob."

I find it interesting that you'd make this response.

It IS a "free country, as you stated, but a police officer, of all

people,
would understand that there are also limits to individual freedom.

Laws, rules, covenants, convention, and even simple manners, are all in

place to
help reasonable people to co-exist. This isn't the Wild West.

Are you saying that the desire and ability to post "Off-topic" legitimises

the
action?

Here in New York we have a law banning drivers from using hand-held cell

phones.
Drive down any street, and roughly two out of every ten drivers you meet

will be
on their cell phones. I guess the fact that they want to, and can, makes

it OK?

What an odd thing for a police officer to say...
Regards,
noah

The "gist" of my message was supposed to be read as "there isn't any
newsgroup police, therefore your rude and stupid posts may be legal, but
certainly not desired. The readers' options are limited, so we'll just tune
you out."

Do I think he's an idiot? You betcha.' Are the "newsgroup police" going to
make an arrest for unwanted posting? I seriously doubt it. Is he allowed to
do it? Yep, all day, everyday. Does anybody want to read his crap? Probably
not, which is why we have the ability to choose whether or not to read his
crap. Don't misinterpret my originally posted poorly worded analogy as being
on his side, I assure you that I'm not. But there's no law prohibiting him
from being an idiot (unfortunately). So I guess we'll just ignore him.
--
-= swatcop =-

"If it wasn't for stupid people I'd be unemployed."