--Christopher

Hello
I know this guy from work and he has been running the boat and motor, but his son
goes to fast in the boat and he is worried. It has only been in fresh water and the motor
has been maintained along with the boat and trailer. The only reason he is selling the
boat is the speed at which the boat goes

wrote:

"--Christopher" wrote in message
news

Hello
I'm close to purchasing this motor and posting this thread for
information. The motor --

1979 EVINRUDE 140 hp Outboard motor Evinrude
Model: 140943 or 140490
Motor Type: Gasoline
Horsepower: 140
Cylinders: 4 Vee- configuration
Start Type: Electric
Dry Weight: 310 or 315
Power Tilt and Trim: Yes

There are two different models with the Power Tilt and Trim, which this
motor has
Model 140490 and 140493
What is the difference between the two models? ( maybe short shaft vs long
shaft)

How reliable is this motor?

The owner says this motor is very quiet?

How much is he asking for it? Was it run in salt water or fresh water? From
what I know about used outboards, it's a major guessing game and often the
buyer gets screwed, especially on something that old. And the person selling
it may not even know he is selling something that is faulty. I had a fella
come in to see me and he had purchased a 70 HP Johnson that had been
"rebuilt". Yeah, it was rebuilt alright. The so-called mechanic had put the
crankcase cover back on using the automotive sealant of blue silicone and he
forgot to put in the aliment dowels. Big mistake. I ran the engine up in the
test tank and it too "ran quiet" and smooth, but for how long?

If you are planning on spending a lot for the engine, then have a tech run
through the basic checks before you purchase it, including a complete visual
inspection, spark check, compression test, gear case pressure and vacuum
test, and a host of other quick and simple tests that a tech can do in about
1/2 hour. This could save you a lot of hassle and headaches down the road.