Rich Hampel

The cutter is quite over-canvassed and needs quite a bit of sail
shaping and precise setting to keep a neutral helm. SA with yankee is
864 sq. ft. .... & ~1100 w/ 130 genoa. The cutter must have its
mast dead straight or will not balance easily .... in disagreement with
the original designers drawings. Supposedly the yard moved the mast aft
a 'bit' without consulting the designer.

The Ketch SA with yankee is 786 sq. ft., has a more high aspect ratio
mainsail .... yielding a more natural balanced helm and better
windward ability. Obviously the mizzen is in the slip stream of the
main when beating but that very high aspect ratio main does the trick.
The ketch rig is deemed 'naturally balanced' by the designer .... just
'happened that way' - so he has stated.

In article , rhys
wrote:

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 15:27:58 GMT, Rich Hampel
wrote:

You should post this on the Tayana Owner EMail Discussion List on
Sailnet; and, at http://www.tayanaowners.org/
Ty37 Ketches are quite rare and VERY desirable as they sail MUCH better
than the cutter version. Why so cheap??????

A little off-topic, but I am curious...why does the TY 37 ketch sail
better than the cutter? My experience is that for windward work, the
usual order is sloop-cutter-ketch-schooner-ship in order of decent
pointing ability and so on.

Having said that, I will probably get a staysail cutter-ketch! G

R.