Matt Colie

The idea is good, but the supplier lacks something.

At one time my little network was all SMC. But some time ago I had
trouble with the WiFi router. When I called their number for
assistance, I was told that the unit purchased at CompUSA and at full
price was too old for telephone support, but I could try e-mail support
and expect an answer in two or three days.

= It got replaced that afternoon. Would you be happen if your office
net were dead for three days ??

Now I am having trouble using my 802.11b card on the multiple networks
that I have to go between while I am on this consulting job. I used
SMC's e-mail support request to attempt to find out if there might be a
remedy. As this was over a week ago, I will be replacing a prefectly
good piece for a lack of support this afternoon.

Others may have had better experiences with this supplier and some may
have had worst with others, but this was my experience.

Matt Colie

Don wrote:
"Steve" wrote in message
news
Your problem can be solved by using a USB wireless card that comes with a
jack for an external antenna. The only one that I have found that comes
with this feature is the Orinoco Silver.

Another way is to add a PCMCIA (Cardbus) wireless card that has a full 200mw
transmit power and an external antenna jack. SMC makes both - model
SMC2536W-B for the card and SMCANT-0M5 for the antenna. I bought mine from
nextwarehouse.com for $77 for both. This combination works much better than
the builtin wireless NIC in my laptop, and the software they include is
better also.

Don