DSK

Maxprop wrote:
... A bit
of tolerance and flexibility go a long way, both here and in personal
relationships.

Sure. Does this mean you're changing your style?

... I'm guessing you don't jump all over your friends and people
at your marina when they are in minor error.

Are you under the impression that I've jumped all over you? Just trying
to help you correct a mistake.

..... I'm betting that nearly 100% of
sailors polled as to the quality range of Jeanneau boats at, say, a Sail
America show, would agree with my assessment.

Does that make it a fact? Are we into faith-based boat construction
these days?

Would it be wrong to conclude that Hunter largely builds low-end boats to a
price, despite the fact that Warren Luhrs built a few of the most powerful,
strongest, and advanced custom round-the-world racers?

AFAIK his only round-the-world racer broke before finishing. 'Route 66'
was a pretty cool boat, but I understand it also has structural issues
and last I heard it was on the market asking pennies on the dollar.

Anyway there is a difference between saying "Hunter largely builds
low-end boats" and allowing for a few exceptions, and saying "Everthing
that ever had the Hunter name on it is a sorry POS."

OTOH one can also make so many qualifications & exceptions as to makes
one's statements functionally useless.

.... You corrected me, and I stand corrected, much
as it pains me to do so, having been chastised by a Usenet hardass. g

Well, good.

Not a lot of Stellars around these parts. I think they're made in NZ or
perhaps somewhere in Europe. They were so far out of my price range that I
never bothered to find out much about them. Just a lot of ooohs and aaaahs.

I've been aboard a couple of Flemings, and they are very nice.

Did you go down into the engine room?

Yes. Amazing. Full headroom, spotless as a galley, and wonderfully roomy.

The thing I liked about it was the layout, routing, and access to all
systems. Very professional. Also, in a compartment like the engine room,
all the build quality issues like structural details, wiring & plumbing
runs, etc etc, are all laid out in plain sight. A boat can not be well
built and have a poor engine space.

Unfortunately it was about 90F and humid that day, and the engine room was
about 110 with a monster genset running to power the A/C, so I didn't
linger.

Comes with the territory

You mentioned "spotless"... One nice thing, an engine room that is well
laid out is easy to keep clean. I'm a firm believer that cleanliness
makes a big difference in long term maintenaince.

.... Have you seen a new Symbol 45 Pilothouse fast trawler? Most
impressive, especially considering the price.

Never heard of them either.

Saw my first one this August. Amazing quality and finish, and another
engine room that's really a by-God engine room. 500hp and 18kts--another
big engined trawler--but the details and layout were among the best I've
seen on any boat of comparable size. Priced around $600K, they compare most
favorably against similarly-sized trawlers costing about $400K more. Built
in Taiwan, I believe, and still waaay out of my price range.

In this credit-crazed society, you can afford anything you can talk
somebody else into financing for you.

After you mentioned it, I googled up the Symbol 45. Nice looking boat.
Palatial... 'way more accomodation than we need. I like the side decks
too, too many of these boats (including the Nordhaven) don't really have
a good deck layout.

DSK