Maxprop

"DSK" wrote in message

Maxprop wrote:
Your derision of my comment makes the presumption that I might actually
give a rat's posterior

Well, do you give a rat's posterior about making a posterior of yourselve
when you express opinions that are (shall we tactfully say) not rooted in
fact?

Only on Usenet will someone jump down your throat for not being completely
and inexorably pedantic w/r/t your opinions. After twenty years of
observing mediocre Jeanneaus at shows, on the docks, and in marina
showrooms, most rational people would conclude that Jeanneau builds boats to
a price line and nothing particularly exceptional. Having seen no evidence
to the contrary, either in the flesh or in print, it would not be imprudent
to draw such a conclusion. But then along comes the ubiquitous Usenet
bully, living his daily life for the opportunity to lambast someone whose
knowledge was perhaps not quite as esoteric w/r/t the subject at hand as his
own. And he labels his target with such terms as stupid, ignorant, horse's
ass, and myriad other appellations, simply because the target's observations
weren't perhaps precisely correct, despite the fact that they were the
accurate with respect to his observations and those of most others. A bit
of tolerance and flexibility go a long way, both here and in personal
relationships. I'm guessing you don't jump all over your friends and people
at your marina when they are in minor error.

True, but you cite the exceptions rather than the rule.

If there are exceptions, then citing the rule and insisting that your
enxamined and uninformed judgement must be considered axiomatic is not
exactly wise.

It's completely normal and quite predictable, outside of the know-it-all's
paradise, otherwise known as Usenet. I'm betting that nearly 100% of
sailors polled as to the quality range of Jeanneau boats at, say, a Sail
America show, would agree with my assessment. We might be wrong, but with
respect to the boats that Jeanneau sells in the US, we're not incorrect.
Would it be wrong to conclude that Hunter largely builds low-end boats to a
price, despite the fact that Warren Luhrs built a few of the most powerful,
strongest, and advanced custom round-the-world racers?

... The boats you seem to be defending have a lengthy reputation for
building cookie-cutter boats for the low-end market and for the charter
market.

The only boat(s) I'm defending is Jeanneau, which has built a wide range
of non-mass-produced-crap boats. But you don't want to know about them.

LOL. I never said any such thing. YOU made that leap of illogic. I only
told you what I'd observed. You corrected me, and I stand corrected, much
as it pains me to do so, having been chastised by a Usenet hardass. g

Custom. Premium in every respect.

OK I will keep my eyes peeled for one.

Not a lot of Stellars around these parts. I think they're made in NZ or
perhaps somewhere in Europe. They were so far out of my price range that I
never bothered to find out much about them. Just a lot of ooohs and aaaahs.

I've been aboard a couple of Flemings, and they are very nice.

Did you go down into the engine room?

Yes. Amazing. Full headroom, spotless as a galley, and wonderfully roomy.
Unfortunately it was about 90F and humid that day, and the engine room was
about 110 with a monster genset running to power the A/C, so I didn't
linger.

.... Have you seen a new Symbol 45 Pilothouse fast trawler? Most
impressive, especially considering the price.

Never heard of them either.

Saw my first one this August. Amazing quality and finish, and another
engine room that's really a by-God engine room. 500hp and 18kts--another
big engined trawler--but the details and layout were among the best I've
seen on any boat of comparable size. Priced around $600K, they compare most
favorably against similarly-sized trawlers costing about $400K more. Built
in Taiwan, I believe, and still waaay out of my price range.

Max