Maxprop

"DSK" wrote in message

I bilge-crawled intensively through two different ones at two boat shows,
and came away unimpressed. They seem to cut a lot of corners in hidden
places.

I have not sailed the boat in a following sea but the hull shape seems
likely to do that. As for fast, that's relative. Certainly they're a hell
of a lot faster than the crab-crushers they seem to be replacing in many
people's idealogy.

That's an interesting point, and one which I think sums up a lot in terms of
crusing design these days. Away from the ponderous Taiwanese joinery
masterpieces toward narrower, faster, lighter displacement hulls without the
fine furniture store ambience below. When checking out my friend's Saga, I
didn't have the time to pay much scrutiny to construction, rather a cursory
examination of rigging, deck, and interior amenities. I was on the helm for
most of the trip, which is where I wanted to be anyhoo.

Commendable approach. Not being in a hurry is wise when boat shopping.

We're in a unique position, for once in our lives. We have a very
attractive boat with all the bells, whistles, and extras, and it's a great
sailor with acceptable amenities and better-than-average strength and build
quality for a 34 footer. We're not in any hurry to part with her, so
essentially it'll take a pretty spectacular boat at a reasonable price to
make the deal. We have, by my reckoning, at least 8 years before the
deadline of having to upgrade to a larger boat.

Max