Steve

I have met (US and other) families in the Philippines and the Pacific
Islands who have home schooled out of necessity (lack of comprehensive
western education). We considered it while living in the Philippines for 8
years with 3 school age children but opted for an international school
(another story).

More recently I had friends who set off to the So. Pacific with a
preschooler, with plans to use the Calvet School course material. However,
prior to their departure, I observed that this child was going to be a hand
full. I hesitate to use the term "soiled" but IMHO, could have used a firm
hand in a structured school enviornment. The parents had yet to demonstrate
this "firm hand".

In the subsequent years I read many emails that express their frustration in
dealing with this childs schooling.. Since I haven't heard of this problems
in the last year, I'm assuming (if I should) that the problems have been
resolved.

Jeff, the age of your sons is not the ideal age for removing them from their
"good ole school days" routine and a great deal will depend upon how
excepting they are of your plans. And how involved. I know you have cruised
with them for the past couple of summers and can only assume that they
enjoyed this more than they might have enjoy the routine summer activities
back home.

Having met you a couple years ago, I was left with the impression that you
would make an excellent mentor and teacher and I have no doubt that all
would benefit from your proposed adventure.

Best regards (and hope to share a few anchorages this summer).

Steve
s/v Good Intentions