Maxprop

"DSK" wrote in message

What's wrong with Jeanneau? That name has gone on a lot of different
boats built in different plants. Some are very respectably well-built.

Maxprop wrote:
They aren't bad, but they really are no better than Beneteau or Dufour.

Did you not process that above info some how?

You may have checked out a Jeanneau built for charter, or a BenT built in
SC to compete with Hunters & Catalinas.

Listen carefully- not *all* Jeanneaus were built by the same people same
plant etc etc. Got it?

Some Jeanneaus are quite well built. For a while they were building
semi-custom boats with Kevlar hulls. Robert Perry once wrote that a
Jeanneau he sailed was "one of the best built boats I've seen."

Your derision of my comment makes the presumption that I might actually give
a rat's posterior about Jeanneau boats enough to research them and determine
which are made where and in what manner. You may be rest assured that I
don't. But for the sake of discussion, I've seen roughly 20 Jeanneaus over
the past 20 years. Some were smaller, rather austere-looking cruisers, and
some were more opulent, such as the 54 I was on this past August. And I'd
have to conclude that they all seemed to come from the same basic design
philosophy, which is, essentially, that they are built to a price, not built
to a superior quality level and priced accordingly. All were
Bendytoy-quality boats, at least to my eyes. Bob Perry knows far more about
boats than I'll ever know, so I'll defer to his evaluation. However, if
Jeanneau truly makes semi-custom boats of superior quality, they are
succeeding at keeping it a well-guarded secret.

They are all boats priced to sell in a range that is similar to or
slightly more than Catalina and Hunter boats.

No, they're not.

Granted some of them are custom or semi-custom. Especially Morris,
Hinckley, Shannon, and Kantor. The others are generally production
boats, but far from the production levels as, say, Beneteau, which is the
largest producer of yachts in the world.

You can build a lot and still build well. You can also build custom boats
that are crap. It all depends on where the money goes.

True, but you cite the exceptions rather than the rule. The boats I've
named above have absolutely no reputation for building "crap." The boats
you seem to be defending have a lengthy reputation for building
cookie-cutter boats for the low-end market and for the charter market.

Haven't seen the Dynamique--only photos. Agreed that Oyster is an
impressive boat. The finest boat I've ever seen was a Stellar, unless
we're talking about megayachts.

Never heard of a Stellar.

Custom. Premium in every respect. Similar in design and appearance to some
of the newer Trintellas. Not sure where they're made.

The Oyster was extremely impressive. It was like a textbook example of how
to build a boat perfectly.

The Fleming line of motor yachts is also quite impressively well built.

I've been aboard a couple of Flemings, and they are very nice. Not exactly
my thing, however. Have you seen a new Symbol 45 Pilothouse fast trawler?
Most impressive, especially considering the price.

Re-naming your French fries?

LOL. Nah--I've always called them "Frogs." At least I capitalize it.

Max