Mark

Roger Long wrote:

Another common over estimation is wind speed. I was quite surprised

when I
started carrying a pocket wind gauge with me while sailing. . .

Part of your surprise may be due to the velocity gradient. The wind
blows harder the higher you are above sea level, with the gradient
being stronger or weaker depending on how stable condtions are. It is
caused by friction with the sea; at the sea surface windspeed is
effectively zero, rapidly increasing in the first few feet, but is
still several knots different from deck level to mast top, where
sailboat wind sensors are.

I've seen conditions (building wind from a calm) where it's blowing 10
knots 55 feet up, and only 5 knots on deck, measured by acccurate
sensors. It's one of the reasons the big boys with the ninety foot
sticks seem to be able to move in drifting conditions while the punters
are becalmed.