Evan Gatehouse

"Marc" wrote in message
I am replacing the teak handrails with stainless steel. My intent is
to eliminate teak maintenence and create a strong point in the deck.
To that end I have core drilled a 2" dia hole from underneath
(leaving the top skin intact) at each rail attachment point. This has
removed the wet core. In order to eliminate overhead work, I intend
to make a layup on my work bench 1/2" thick and then cookie cut out 2"
discs and epoxy these into the empty core location at each rail
attachment point. Once these are in place, I'll fill any low points
and glass patch the bottom skin. The rail, itself, has captured nuts
at each attachment point and will be thru bolted from underneath with
large backing plates.

Question: What layup schedule should I use for the cookies?

Anything you want - the thickness is such that just about any fiberglass
will work, and 2" is too short to matter what type of fibers. I guess I
would avoid all mat but that's about it.

So far, I have prepped for one rail and I have three more to go.
Question: Is there an easier way to do what I want to do?

Is the wet core confined only small areas at the old bolt holes ?

I would have cut out the old bottom skin, remove wet core, and glassed a
much thinner glass backing plate in place, about 1/4" thick, tapering out
onto the old bottom skin. The nuts would fit in the hollows in the
depressions created by the thinner backing pads.

2" solid discs ARE large backing plates...

--
Evan Gatehouse

you'll have to rewrite my email address to get to me
ceilydh AT 3web dot net
(fools the spammers)