Roger Long

That's a lot of chines (and thus a lot of fiberglass tape). For an 8'
dinghy you could easily get by with fewer panels.

I'm willing to tape an extra seam each side for the appearance and shape.
The foot of the genoa will be dragging over the bottom of this boat each
tack so a little roundness will be helpful. I'm not trying to make it the
quickest possible build. There are plenty of those boats around.

Uhh, looking at the profile, there won't be a lot of freeeboard at
amidships
when loaded and the waterline will be short; maybe a bit less rocker might
be useful? Have you checked the displacement (no DWL was shown on the
plans)?

Yes, I have checked displacement as well as KMT and everything else with a
full hydrostatics dataset. This would be a very different shape if
primarily intended for landing at docks or use with a small outboard. It's
a two person or adult and two kids boat under all but ideal conditions.

For a lot of uses in our situation, we'll have to supplement this boat with
some big clunky thing that never goes farther than the mooring..

Shameless commercial plug - here's my nesting dinghy design. Only 4
panels
vs. your 7 and rows like a dream. Also stows very well on a trunk cabin
or
foredeck. Similar hull shape to yours, only longer.
http://www.bateau.com/studyplans/FB11_study.htm

Nice looking design. I'll have to confess that you've got me thinking about
whether a nesting boat would make sense. I rejected it out of hand because
of lack of space to assemble on a 32 foot boat. However, if I made the
forward lifelines dropable on both sides, maybe I could stick the ends out
port and starboard. That still leaves the weight problem. Even getting an
8 footer on board will take some tugging or creative use of the jib halyard.

BTW take a look at the boats I design in my day job he

http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma

--

Roger Long