rhys

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 03:05:56 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:

12 average or 12 max? What I'm talking about here is 12 foot, wind driven
waves, average height so that wave after wave is in the twelve foot range.

That sort of wave is going to be pretty rare on Lake Erie. You'd have
to be at the wrong end during a *sustained* big blow from a steady
direction. While this is possible, the maximum you are likely to see
is 6 feet, with 2 to 3 feet being the average windy day, depending on
fetch, proximity to shore and reflection from the shore.

Having said that, lake waves are nasty, more chaotic and bumpier than
any ocean conditions I've experienced. The movement can be very
tiring...luckily, everything's over pretty quickly in line squalls and
you rarely lose control of your boat if you know how to sail in the
first place.

R.