Me

In article G_4yd.8097$iD.5755@fed1read05,
"Jim Donohue" wrote:

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message

Are you sure of that? Are you really claiming that the thousands of jets
that are in the air now completely rely on GPS and would be unable to land
without it? Are you actually telling me that when I board a 757 to go to
FL for Christmas the only nav system on board will be a GPS?

I am not sure what point you are making. There are airport approaches that
can only be executed by a GPS equipped airplane. So under at least some
weather conditions the only way to get into that airport is to fly a GPS
approach.

There are airplanes under the existing regulations that lack equipment that
used to be required for some instrument approaches.

All airplanes can of course resort to visual approaches. So when everything
breaks, you can run for a place where you can see. Note though that
occassionally there are no such places available.

I am not aware of any precision approach that has been approved for GPS.
Maybe Me knows something I don't. If so I would like to see a reference.

There appears no doubt in the direction of the FAA that the system will go
entirely GPS eventually...but that point is still many years in the future.
The present state is one of transition...changing from the procedures of
VOR/DME to those of GPS. So every year more and more of the procedures will
be GPS.

JIm Donohue

Juneau, Alaska check it out....... the ILS Approch has a 45 degree
DogLeg 1000 feet before the end of the runway. Try that with the
old Ground based ILS system........

Me