Jack Dale

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 16:16:11 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:

Since we're all excited about the new boat right now, I'm thinking of buying
some safety gear for the wife and kids for Christmas. Knowing I'm thinking
about keeping them attached the boat should make her feel warm and fuzzy.

I would run jacklines and put U bolts in the cockpit, at the mast and
the bow. Attach tethers to the bolts and jacklines, and leave them
there while sailing. Have some within reach of the companionway. If
you want the kids to tethered, the adults should be as well. Many
sailors have their own tethers which they keep attached to their
harness, I would rather have the tethers attached to the boat and use
that one that I need.

Put nettting on your lifelines.

I've been looking at the safety harnesses that have a built in CO2
lifejacket. Pricey, but they look comfortable to wear and you don't have to
worry about digging up a harness if things get hairy. I'd appreciate some
experience / or comments on these.

I wear one all the time. Consider adding a strobe light if you are
out at night. I found a nifty case that was designed to hold a
Maglite and Leatherman. It hangs off the belt of the harness.

We're in Maine and most of our cruising will probably be to even colder
regions. The Mustang coats look great but are probably too warm for summer.
Growing kids (12 and 14) will go through them fast.

I have a Mustand jacket I seldom wear. The seams are not water proof.
For cold weather, I suggest

- polypropylene underwear
- fleece
- good foul weather gear (breathable and waterproof)
- sea boots (with at least two sets of felt inserts)
- gloves ( I am still searching for something that can get wet and
stay warm.)
- watch cap (As a Canadian, I should call it a toque)
- avoid cotton and wool.

I wear fast drying hiking pants. They fit into my sea boots easily,
and they are comfortable under foul weather gear. They also take no
space in my bag.

Safety perception is a funny thing. My wife is petrified to have me take the
kids up in my well maintained airplane in clear calm conditions but sees no
danger in boating at all. Now that I'm coming back to sailing after learning
to fly and think very proactively about safety and what can go wrong, I can
see about 100 more ways to hurt or lose a kid on the water than in the air.

Everyone should learn and practise:
- upwind MOB
- downwind MOB
- Anderson turns
- Williamson turns

Both day and night.

The galley can be dangerous. Make sure everyone understands how to
use the stove properly.

You have to be somewhat anal about gear stowage.

Teach everyone the knots.

Make sure everyone knows where the safety gear is and how to use it.

You might consider hiring an instructor to come out for a couple days
to reinforce what you are saying about safety.

I am currently reviewing manuals and exams for one the organizations
for which I certify. I could go on but ......

Jack

Jack Dale
Swiftsure Sailing Academy
Director/ISPA and CYA Instructor