Capt. NealŪ

That's why one must sail off the wind and sail under
a small, balanced press of sail so one can maneuver
in such a way to avoid those breakers. They are not
mast height, btw. They are relatively small. Look
closely at the pictures. The really huge looking waves
are taken looking up from a transom when the bow
is in the trough . . .

CN

OzOne wrote in message ...
On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 15:51:34 -0500, Capt. NealŪ
scribbled thusly:

Not so! Those huge waves have little effect upon a small
yacht under a reasonable press of sail to keep her stable.

Of course, in those conditions, the yacht will be sailing
off the wind so the period of the waves becomes longer.

The properly sailed small yacht will only be bothered
but the breakers atop those huge waves. Those breakers
tend to slosh green water into the cockpit, I have found.
One must always keep the washboard in and battened
down.

Bwaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaaaa!
Cappy, the breakers atop those huge waves will often be above your
mast height!
They'll pick your little boat up like flicking a fly with your finger!

Oz1...of the 3 twins.