MikeG

In article ,
says...
I don't know how big Mike's boat is so maybe I
shouldn't have shot my mouth off. :)

It's a "85" 21' seaway with a 1.6 OMC Seadrive on it.

I'm following, well, at least reading, both threads with interest.

I have my own thoughts on planing and it fits nicely with your
experiences with your boats Tom. I'm not hydraulics engineer but I do a
bit about them.

If I may.

Water, hell, just about any liquid, is pretty much not compressible. As
a V hull passes through it it cuts and displaces the water until it
reaches a speed where it is pushing it aside fast enough to starts to
try to compress it.

At that point the water starts to push/squeeze the bow up until it hits
the "flat" at the rear of the hull. At that point you have pretty much
become a flat rock skipping over the surface of the water with the wide
flat area of the hull trying to compress the uncompressed so it can
wallow down into it.

That being the case hull design can lead to an infinite variety of way's
a boat can come up on plane. Steep bow rise, no bow rise, etc.......

Now NOBY's post in the "what gain" thread is leaving me a tad fuzzy but
with the above solidifying in my mind I am starting to get a glimmer of
where he is going with it. I just can't, yet, quite connect all the
dots.

Again, my thanks too all respondents.

PS, They are inexpensive enough that I think I will do some
experimenting with some form of the whale tail stabilizers in the
spring. I'll let you all know how I make out with them. Right now the
TIGER SHARK VG's are the ones that have my main interest.

Mike

--
MikeG
Heirloom Woods