Roger Long

A National Weather Service table shows probable wave heights of 12 feet
being produced by 27 to 28 knot winds. These heights are for fully
developed seas and it takes several hours for them to build up.

Another common over estimation is wind speed. I was quite surprised when I
started carrying a pocket wind gauge with me while sailing. We tend to
perceive wind force rather than speed; especially when observing the
response of a sailboat. Adding a bit less than half to the wind speed
doubles its pressure. If a breeze feels twice as strong as one we know to
be 15 knots, most people would call it 30 knots whereas it would actually
only be 21.

The formula is Velocity squared x .0041.

--

Roger Long