Short Wave Sportfishing

Default Smart Tabs...

Rich's post got me to looking - just for my own edification.

This is from the Nauticus web site about Smart Tabs:

****

"SPEED REGULATION
SMART TABS start in a downward angel to maximize lift at slow
speeds. As the boat accelerates, the water pushes up on the trim
plates providing lift to the stern which minimizes bow rise, and
allows the boat to plane quickly.

Once the water pressure exceeds the actuator load rating (maximum
lift) the trim plates move up to a horizontal position eliminating any
drag."

****

Besides the fact that angels are not relevant to this discussion
except for praying for good weather, doesn't this seem counter to
accepted theory on bow lift?

Bow lift is what you need to get up on plane as I understand it. It
would seem to me that lifting the stern is exactly what you don't want
to do - you want to keep the stern as neutral as possible acting as a
pivot point - or am I wrong?

On the opposite end of this planing deal, I'm not sure how this allows
you to stay on plane longer. Even if you set the actuators to a heavy
setting, that kind of defeats the purpose - yes/no?

Later,

Tom - who is not looking to start an argument, just being curious.