Roger Long

One of the bits of odd info I picked up is that severely hypothermic victims
will often experience heart failure as they are turned vertical. There is a
lot of stress in rescue boat design on getting people aboard in a horizontal
position. If someone is barely conscious or unconscious, it may be worth
slowing down, taking a deep breath, and figuring out how to get them aboard
with the least stress possible. Yanking them up in a panic could be more of
a hazard than another few minutes in the water.

I see you're another sailor / pilot. It's going to be interesting to see
how much of a dent the boat makes in my flying.

http://baldeagleflyingclub.org

You might enjoy these as well:

http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma/Articles.htm

Where do you sail in Colorado?

--

Roger Long

"~^ beancounter ~^" wrote in message
oups.com...
yep...i agree w/Don...you also want to consider/practice
getting back on the boat, once you have fallen off. this is
sometimes a problem on sailboats, combined w/a 150-200
lb man trying to get back on board....

i would think of safety equipment in three main sections:
1) throwables
2) signals
3) communication eq

have a bit of each.....and mostly...a clear mind and the ability
to be calm...when things start going to ^%$#.....sorta like flying,
only
slower....imho...

richard
colorado