Jack Erbes

Windjammer wrote:

One that came up in a search, was this:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...782&CatId=1574

Anyone have any thoughts about this - Is it just a big PDA or is it just a
remotre monitor - I have not yet digested just waht this unit does and how
it could apply to boat/car navigation. Price seems good.

That one (and its larger, newer big brother, the V210) are wireless
networked tablet PCs. Some details on the V210 he

http://www.viewsonic.com/pdf/us_eng/...irsyncV210.pdf

They have processors and a Windows operating systems (Windows® CE .NET
4.2) so they are more than a monitor. The CE .NET OS is sort of new and
quite different than Pocket PC but I'm not conversant on it at all. A
lot of chatter about "embedded devices", mobility, and stuff like that.
More specs he

http://www.viewsonic.com/pdf/us_eng/...rt_viewpad.pdf

I don't see a brightness in nits so it is hard to say how the "High
luminance XGA 12.1" TFT LCD display with auto brightness adjustment"
will work in daylight and compare it to the high end (1200 nits or more)
marine displays.

But might be worth looking at in lieu of a remote display. The price of
it is up in the range of some of the good marine displays. The trade
off would be lack of weatherproofing and probably less visibility in
direct sunight. The street prices are around $1,200-$1,300 on the V210.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)