Mike B

Having a roll is very, very important, especially in cold water. Lot's of
paddling clubs use indoor pools during the winter for instruction. For the
warm weather flat water paddler just something fun to learn. For
recreational boaters, most of that type of craft won't take a skirt anyway
and if they do, they're nylon, 4 feet long and implode upon going over.
wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm a recent convert to the occassionally wet world of kayaking. I have
practised wet exits and self rescues, wear a PDF and always carry a
paddle float and bail pump. While most of my rough water experience has
been coastal and always accompanied by at least one other more
experienced paddler I would like to equip myself with additional
protection for the days I might venture solo. In the Spring I intend to
continue to work on my non existent (as yet) roll and other braces.
Here is my thought: a reliable VHF radio, an inexpensive GPS and
finally a usable dry suit. I like to paddle mostly the North shore of
MA where the water temperature even in summer never gets better than
60. (I think) I own a farmer john 3mm wet suit but not sure if this is
enough. Currently I'm looking at a ICOM IC-MIV VHF radio and a Palm dry
suit. Anyone out there want to weigh in on my choices or suggest other
alternatives. Are the built in neoprene socks advisable? I do insist on
a pee zipper being of the prostate challenged generation.

Thanks,
Gene