John Fereira

wrote in news:1103386361.019212.32480
@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Some people have already added a few addtional items to add to your gear but
I have some addtional comments.

I'm a recent convert to the occassionally wet world of kayaking. I have
practised wet exits and self rescues, wear a PDF and always carry a
paddle float and bail pump.

It's not enough to just own a paddlefloat. How often do you practice using
it? It may not be much fun practicing in colder water but the time to
perfect a reentry with a paddlefloat is not when you actually need it.
Practice in calm then progressively rougher conditions so that if you do
capsize unexpectantly you won't discover then how difficult it can be to
reenter you kayak with a paddle float when the wind has kicked up some waves
(which is when you're more likely going to capsize).

While most of my rough water experience has
been coastal and always accompanied by at least one other more
experienced paddler I would like to equip myself with additional
protection for the days I might venture solo. In the Spring I intend to
continue to work on my non existent (as yet) roll and other braces.

Look at the most recent issue of Seakayaker magazine for a good article on
learning/relearning a roll. The technique describe is very close to what I
have used quite successfully to teach others. For bracing, look for the
February issue of Seakayaker for an article called "Bracing Drills". How do
I know about the article if it hasn't come out yet? I wrote it.

Here is my thought: a reliable VHF radio, an inexpensive GPS and
finally a usable dry suit. I like to paddle mostly the North shore of
MA where the water temperature even in summer never gets better than
60. (I think) I own a farmer john 3mm wet suit but not sure if this is
enough. Currently I'm looking at a ICOM IC-MIV VHF radio and a Palm dry
suit. Anyone out there want to weigh in on my choices or suggest other
alternatives. Are the built in neoprene socks advisable? I do insist on
a pee zipper being of the prostate challenged generation.

A few things not mentioned yet. You may want some signaling devices.
Flares are the most obvious item. A good loud whistle will also come in
handy, especially if you paddle in an area with a lot of boat traffic. A
bivy bag may also be useful. It's a large coast guard orange bag that you
can climb into if you become separated from your kayak. It can be partially
inflated and used for floatation, and used as a signaling device. It can be
folded up and put into a pocket on your PFD.