Capt. NealŪ

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message ...
Ok CN,

I'll play with you for a little bit. By the way' what the hell are you
doing up this late or early in the morning? Having trouble with that
"Tin Can" cabin heater already?

The cabin heater is working fine. To tell you the truth I was up waiting
for a call from someone even hotter than my famous cabin heater - Lady
Pilot to be exact. Don't tell Moroon though or he might get jealous.

Anyway, I seem to remember a boat with a very similar 'funny looking'
keel was the first boat to end a 150 year reign of American Cup
domination.

On a race boat such a keel is de rigeur but on a pilot house cruising
boat it is out of place. It compares to putting some of those old
Cadillac tail fins on a modern-day Corvette.

Those aren't end plates, Dopey! There Wings. Look at their shape again
and try to figure the action of a Wing Keel.

Wings??? Sorry old chap, but they function as end plates to control
the vortex. Even when they are installed on a 747 they are called end
plates. (or some call them winglets.)

I'm going to bed now. So, you'll have time to think about the action of
a "Wing Keel"

Also, think about the comparison of the Entry of my boat and the
Bulbous, knuckle shape bow and leading blunt edge of that forward placed
Keel on your Tub, Then we'll talk about helm action.

Dopey! Think about what a shark or a porpoise - some of the fastest
animals in the water looks like. It is bulbous and it goes quite fast.

The fiction about slim being better at sea is just that fiction. Ever look
beneath the water on an oceangoing ship. Most likely you will see a
bulbous looking thing. If a sharp entry was so great they would not
bother with the bulb.

Savvy kimosabe?

CN