name

"Proxy" wrote in message
After having no issue with my (sold) old gear (100Hp Johnson 1971) that

did
not want to quit I have doubts about oil quality impact here. Can't

imagine
all previous owners always have bought top stuff (?!). My conclusion would
be: never run the engine without the oil or wrong (too little oil) ratio.
That is a true killer. Ironically my engine seemed happier with lower end
brands (mainly Johnson) - less smoke and more even idle. Try to figure
that...

When I said to use a good quality oil I did not mean that you have to use
THE BEST quality oil that you can find. What I really meant was DO NOT use
a crappy cheapo oil. Any of the major manufacturers' oils like Johnson is
good. It's just not worth it to buy the cheapest oil you can find to save a
few cents....especially if you are not exactly sure about the mixture ratio.
You have more leeway on the mixture ratio if you use a good oil than if you
use a lousy oil, that was my point.