rhys

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 01:07:44 GMT, (John
R. Campbell) wrote:

On rhys wrote:
Cindy Ballreich wrote:
Hey! This was supposed to degenerate into a
sextant flamewar, not a political flamewar!
Didn't you get the schedule?

We just HAD a sextant flamewar, didn't we? I
believe it can be found just inside this
cocked hat here...

I'm not up to date... so is LORAN dead yet?

No, it isn't, and our "show and share" cabinet in the clubhouse for
orphaned gear has a couple of free LORAN rigs for the taking. The
merits of LORAN aside (and I believe them to be considerable), people
are voting for GPS with their wallets.

Me, I couldn't be bothered installing even a free, relatively new
LORAN set as it's easier and cheaper to improve one's coastal pilotage
than to rely on instruments solely. GPS is very handy, but my sailing
days aren't ruined if I leave it off. I use it to obtain ETAs, to
confirm my LOP and DR calcs and a couple of times in zero-visibility
fog in shoal waters, which allowed us to proceed referencing the paper
chart and blowing a horn whereas without it I would have dropped
anchor and waited it out.

R.