Gordon Wedman

"Cindy Ballreich" wrote in message
I'm pretty much sold on the Sigmar 100 or 120. My husband likes the idea
of forced air heat. (I think he has visions of a cockpit hand warming
duct!) I agree that the cost and hassle of installation will outweigh the
benefit - especially since we already have a vent for a solid fuel heater.

Cindy

Doug Dotson wrote:
Cindy,

I've never noticed any problems operating our Espar while
heeled although we haven't used it all that much while underway
(maybe a couple hundred hours). Also, maintenance hasn;t been any
problem either. In the almost six years we have owned it, it has never
missed a beat. No unreasonable sooting, never replaced the glow
plug, etc. Perhaps our installation is less suseptable to problems
and our fuel is clean. Had to replace some ducting last weekend,
but that turned out to be related to a stuffing box leak that sprayed
sal****er onto a section of the ducting. Remaining ducting looked
as good as new (I replaced it anyway as long as I was into it).
For your 30' foot boat though, I doubt if such a system is justified.
The cost alone should make up your mind.

Doug
s/v CAllista

--
The email address above is a spam trap. Don't expect a response.
Reach me using firstname at lastname dot net

A Sigmar 100 is probably big enough for a 30' boat. I think it is rated
4500 BTU?
Its better to run these units near full output to avoid soot production so I
think you are better off with a smaller unit than one which is puts out too
much heat when turned up. With the Sigmar you can install/run the unit
without the "balanced draft" feature. This avoids a second hole in the
cabin top and more exhaust pipe. The balanced draft feature is supposed to
allow the heater to operate more consistently in strong, or gusty, winds.
As for the Espar operating while heeled, I've not read anything on this but
I don't see why this would be a problem. I'm sure the fuel pump can manage
a bit of uphill work and I don't see why the burner or fan would care about
heel.