Edgar

Donal wrote in message

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
Here is the story of my quest for a sailboat. After you read it lets
here your story, IF you have a boat. This has been published in Sail
magazine and readers digest. It is copy writed.

Fetching Red Cloud
A true
story by Joe Butcher

Top marks, Joe. That was the best sailing post that we've had in a

while.

I agree with Donal. There is much to be learned from your account and I am
sure you have taken the lessons on board and others would do well to think
about it too.
When you said that your boat came from Lowestoft my first thought was that
it was a North Sea trawler that someone had converted. There were many
trawlers in Lowestoft before overfishing of the North Sea killed off the
industry. However when you said she had a centre cockpit with a tall mast I
knew she must be a yacht from the start. First, I looked in google for any
reference to your boat in Lowestoft without success. Then, and more to the
point, I looked in my copies of 'Lloyds Register of Yachts' for 1975 and
1977 and can tell you that there is no yacht listed in either of them called
'C Search' or 'Sea Search'.
A yacht of 42' would have been included automatically if Lloyds had been
told about her but her omission simply means that nobody did so. Maybe, as
someone else suggested, she was built outside of normal shipyards, or maybe
she was built abroad and brought to Lowestoft. If she was UK built the screw
threads would all be in inch measurements. metric threads would indicate she
was built abroad.
This is all negative stuff, but it is information of a sort and I hope it is
of interest.
Edgar.