Ian Malcolm

"Ian Malcolm" wrote:
Bruno Beam wrote:

Metal, wood, plastic,rubber or stone?

What do you recommend?

Its got to be stone. Ideally Lanhélin blue granite.

To maintain optimum structural strength, Bruno, you should carve it from a
single 50 tonne block using only hand tools. Tell us how she sails when
you've finished. Owing to the limited interest in stone boats, progress
reports will *NOT* be needed ;-)

Auerbach wrote:
But once carved, should the interior be sealed in epoxy, spar varnish or
paint? (g)

Well I am somewhat of a traditionalist, so its got to be paint. Ideally
finley ground red ochre in a base of boiled flax seed oil, lanolin and
fish oil, but I guess one could stretch a point slightly and use red
Damboline.

Oh dear, I forgot to remind Bruno to fit and USE jackstays. I would
suggest that webbing is too vunerable to chafe against a granite hull so
he needs wire jackstays and a well fitted chain harness and safety
line. None of these nasty karabiners though, too unreliable. A good
galvanized shackle with the thread of the pin dipped in a mixture of sal
ammoniac, treacle and fresh iron filings so it doesn't work loose would
be a *much* better idea on each end. After all we would'nt want
anything to happen to him. ;-)
Oh Dear, I forgot to tell Bruno to fit and use

[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & 32K emails -- NUL:
'Stingo' Albacore #1554 - 15' Uffa Fox designed,
All varnished hot moulded wooden racing dinghy circa. 1961