thunder

Default See you all in the spring....

Subject: See you all in the spring.... From: thunder

Date: 12/13/2003 9:16 AM Eastern Standard Time Message-id:

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 13:38:50 +0000, F330 GT wrote:

1. Dying of starvation or disease as the population grows out of
control and the land can no longer support the herd. This happens quite
often when hunting is severely curtailed.

I don't have any problems with hunting, but there is more to the equation
than curtailing hunting. I live in New Jersey, and the deer population
here has exploded. Hunting has not been curtailed, on the contrary,
hunters are allowed many does, and several bucks, depending on
licenses/permits. Here, the Dept. of Fish & Game manage the herd as a
resource, I've heard it argued perhaps too successfully.

And you have successfully stated a problem but you haven't suggested a
solution.

I was trying to make the point, that in this state, the herd is managed
for hunting, not that hunting manages the herd. If this state wanted to
control the *size* of the herd, and loose the economic benefits of
hunting, it would be managed differently.

Unfortunately, the human virus has taken up the land and resources that
once belonged to the wildlife. Since we are unable to manage our own
herds, we must try to successfully manage the animal population. We do
this in ways that try to maximize their herds without them encroaching on
our lifestyle. Hunting is just one of the ways that we do this.

Exactly, hunting is just one of the ways.

Unless we are willing to give up our own breeding habits, I guess we are
going to have to continue managing theirs.

Don't get me wrong, I think hunting has considerable economic and
recreational benefits. Today wildlife is more abundant and varied here,
than when I was younger. Bear, turkey, beaver, otter, coyote, all have
returned, and this in New Jersey. I think hunters, and their dollars, are
largely responsible.