Calif Bill

Jaxass, you be quiet, you do not have a clue about anything! What happens
if you put a 250 HP O/B with a small surface piercing prop on the boat.
Good kicker? Lots more HP!

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
billie, be quiet. you don't have a clew what the relationship is between
horsepower and thrust. knock it off. the guy asked a valid question and

you
want to babble on like you are on your 5th beer.

From: "Calif Bill"
Date: 12/14/2004 12:08 AM Eastern Standard Time

"Jim and Anna" wrote in message
I own a 22' Grady White with a 225 Yamaha. I need to replace the old
kicker. This engine main purpose is to get me home if the main one

breaks
down. I was told that the 4 stroke 9.9hp High Thrust is a better

outboard
choice than the 15hp. I cannot understand why an engine that has 33%

more
hp would be not one to choose. Is the 9.9 High Thrust the best choice?
Jim

The high thrust is the best choice. The 9.9 may not be. I run a Yamaha

T-8
high thrust on my 3400# aluminum jet boat. Get hull speed (6.5 mph) at
about 3/4 thottle. The 15 Mariner that it replaced would only get me

about
5.5 at full throttle. The motors are designed to move sailboats and
displacement hulls at a lower speed. The T-8 and I think the 9.9 both

have
25 hp gear cases, with lower gears. They now have the clearance to run a
bigger diameter, low pitch prop. This keeps the prop from cavitating

and
moves the boat better than a small prop with a lot of slippage. As to

the
9.9 and T-8, the T-8 has power tilt. You can also get it with remote
throttle. I love not having to reach over and lift the kicker on the OMC
bracket. I now have a fixed bracket and just push the button to tilt the
motor. Is the extra long shaft (25" it think). Mine was about $2300 2
years ago. I think the big Yamaha dealer in Florida sold them at about

that
price, no tax and about $90 shipping. They may make a 9.9 power tilt

now.