Michael Daly

On 13-Dec-2004, "Jim" wrote:

I suppose it depends on how much weight you are going to carry over
what distances, as well as your personal preferences and
budget, but a trio of padded straps might be worth considering.

For backpacks, I definitely agree that a waist belt is crucial.
However, for a big canoe pack, I find them next to useless.
When portaging with such a big pack, I can't stand straight anyway,
so the weight isn't transfered to the belt. A tump is more
useful in these conditions.

I'd agree it's worth considering depending on the size of the pack.

Mike