swatcop

Default Police Marine Units

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
"swatcop" wrote in message
Here's your chance to make a difference, because I will take
every opinion into consideration. Thanks for your help.

Here in Rochester NY, there's a busy area where the sherrifs behave like
giant mosquitoes, pestering anyone who looks wrong. I think it's a great
idea, even though they've bugged me frequently to check my fishing

license.
I have to imagine they nail people for more serious stuff. So, I'd say "Be
the biggest pain in the ass you can".

My pet peeve involves something that happens constantly when I'm fishing.
The bay here is about a mile wide, and from side to side, it's deep enough
for any boat. There's one spot where small fishing boats have been
congregating for years because that's where the perch hang out. The spot's
about an acre in size. Without fail, there's at least one moron per hour

who
feels the need to crank past the fishermen at top speed, throwing 3-5 ft
wakes.

I don't know the official legal name of the law covering wakes, but when

my
son's in the boat, I call it "attempted murder". One of these days,
someone's gonna get a bullet in their fuel tank.

Do something about that, wherever you work.

I'm not sure of the actual name of the statute (as I said I'm new at this
aspect of policing), but I know it exists. Part of my training was with the
Coast Guard, and I remember the instructor really driving his point home
about boaters being responsible for their wake. One of his examples was a
woman drinking coffee on her husband's boat. Some schmuck flew past them and
she spilled her coffee on her lap resulting in burns. The operator of the
other boat was heavily fined and also came under civil suit. I will
definitely keep an eye on the wakes of vessels. Thank you for your input.
--
-= swatcop =-

"If it wasn't for stupid people I'd be unemployed."