Tedr

Default pack harness

I have a large sports bag that I would like to use as a canoe pack,
but it doesn't have shoulder straps so it would be hard to carry on a
long portage. I have considered using a packframe, but externals are
awkward in canoes.

I would like to make a harness with shoulder straps and a waist belt,
maybe even a tumpline to make it easier to carry. I'm thinking of
using webbing and ladder locks, and rivetting the straps wherever the
pieces join (I'm not very expert at sewing).

Has anyone made something like this before? Even if you haven't, I
would love to get some advice from do-it-yourself types about the
following:

type of webbing - nylon? canvas?

width of webbing - 1"? 1.5"

type of rivets - aluminum? brass? blind/pop type?

would it be better to sew?

Any advice is most welcome, and thanks.

Tedr