Sheldon

I have 18 fot grumman and made a sailing rig many years ago:
stiff mast of electrical 1 1/2 conduit fixed by plate with locator
pins to plate on floor just ahead of bow seat and yoke attached to
gunnels, also using pins to locate at holes in gunnel. lateen rig with
pulley to raise and lower sail on stub mast.

2 leeboards of tapered 1/2 ply with wide flat washer for adjusting
tilt. these screwed to 2x3 with bloocks on end to increas bering
surface.

rudder hung on A frame with a hinge leaf sandwidged at the point of A
between two long arms of A. the 2 arms were carved to fit the shape of
canoe so that it was locked from horizontal movement, when clamped at
the cross of Aframe clamped to gunnel just back of stern seat.

Had about 45 square feet of sail tied to very light 1/2 conduit with 2
interlocked eye bolts tieing the end point of sail.

On 26 Aug 2004 11:49:14 -0700, (Parallax)
wrote:

The other post about canoe sailing got me thinking. I grew up with a
Grumman canoe and still consider canoeing to be as natural as riding a
bike. Its an old 18' Grumman Aluminum flat bottom canoe, nearly
indestructible. I always wanted to use it to explore salt marshes and
also sail it in VERY shallow water. The other canoe sailing post
gives me some ideas, thanks