Jeff Morris

JAXAshby wrote:
having two gates does not make it a lock. Using to raise or lower boats makes
it a lock.

having two gates on either end of a chamber means that it was built as a
lock. Since I've posted about a dozen references that it was actually
used in that manner would seem to indicate that it really is a lock.

Now you've made a claim that the gates are kept open while the current
flows in both directions. Whether or not that's true does change the
fact that its a lock. However, you've been completely unable to
substantiate your claim. Since I've cited about a dozen references,
includes the Army Corps, NOAA, the agency the owns and operates it, the
company that repairs it, and a number of people who have gone through
recently, and all say its a lock, that mean that I win, 12 zip.

geesh. call it peanut butter and that makes it a sandwich?

... here's a picture of the lock in the Shinnecock Canal: