Jeff Morris

JAXAshby wrote:
The "inside" ICW has long stretches where the "channel" is 5 feet or less.

The controling depth of the ICW channel is 12 feet. When any spot shallows to
less than 12 feet, the channel is dredged, assuming funds (that means money,
jeffies) are available.

You really don't know what you're talking about, do you Jaxie? First
of all, the "controlling depth" goes from 12 feet to 10 feet at Fort
Pierce, Florida. At Miami, it drops down to 7 feet. After Key Largo 5
feet is common. After Marathon the bayside channel sort of ends - its 2
to 3 feet much of the rest of the way to Key West and almost all boats
switch over to the outside channel there. (We won't even get into the
fact that much of the ICW hasn't been close to its "controlling depth"
in decades.) And of course the trip down the inside channel had no
meaning if you don't explore the numerous shallow bays and coves that
are off limits to boats the draw over 3 feet and inexperienced sailors
like you.

And we're talking about a total of 150 miles from Miami to Key West, not
a little channel a couple of miles long. Florida Bay is is about 100
times larger than Shinnecock Bay, and far more challenging.