Steven Shelikoff

Default Emergency diesel shutdown

On 13 Dec 2003 05:46:30 GMT, (Gould 0738) wrote:

Well, that's as may be, but, my truck has an electric fuel shutoff valve.
Most
modern diesels in truck (and I would think also boats) applications do.
Or how does turning the key to off stop the engine?

Your truck is designed to be started in the same fashion that people are
accustomed to use when starting a car.

A lot of diesel boats don't use the key to start or stop the engine. The key is
turned on to activate the electrical panel and the alternator, but a separate
push button is used to crank the engine. When the engine is shut down, another
push button
activates a solenoid that, yes, does actuate a mechanical fuel shut off
mechanism. Only after the engine comes to a complete halt is the key turned to
"off."

Or in my case, the engine is started just like a car. i.e., the "on"
position of the key activates the alternator, panel instruments, engine
hours meter, etc., and the "start" position activates the starter. But
to shut down, you pull a knob that is connected to a cable that is
mechanically connected (no solenoid) to a lever on the injector pump
that shuts off the fuel.

Steve