Marcus AAkesson

Default Which flag to fly ?

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 19:28:18 -0800, Sven
wrote:

Excellent, I have the answer. The Swedish flag under the port spreader.

Where did you look it up or where were you originally learn the rules ?

The registry flag rules are quite clear and available both online and
in most books for nautical training.

The courtesy flags are more of a custom but there are some good online
references like http://flagspot.net/flags/index.html

Your question regarding the "third" flag is more difficult, I think
mainly it's an observation, that this seems to be a common practice,
and I also found some reference to it in marine literature. There are
no definitive "rules" regarding this, but this is the most common way
to do it as far as I know, and there is certainly nothing to forbid
it. The general rule is that as long as You fly the registry flag
correctly, and then the courtesy flag in it's position, any flag in a
tertiary position should never be offensive to anyone. Here You also
fly club ensigns or other flags for informational purposes.

Fair winds,

/Marcus

--
Marcus AAkesson