Short Wave Sportfishing

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 12:14:40 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

~~ snippage ~~

I've found that travel abroad has given me an appreciation for other
peoples and their cultures, and more insight into the realities of the
world. These realities often are very different from what our government
wants us to believe. As an example, it wasn't until I was working in
Vietnam that I fully realized what a colossal fraud our government was
perpetrating on us.

But you learn a lot of good, too. I spent some time in Egypt with
villagers who had nothing, and who were learning to build their own
small homes, start their own small businesses, and improve their
community's sanitary coditions. All these people wanted was a slightly
better life for themselves and their children. I found similar
aspirations among the folks I met in El Salvador and Bangladesh.

That's fine - you done well if that's what you've done. And I've been
to South/Central America, but always to a fishing camp with other
North Americans. I've been to my friend's fishing camp in Costa Rica
and have never been anywhere near the rain forest. Just trees - I own
a hundred acres of trees - big deal.

I have no interest in how other people live. Usually their foods are
things I wouldn't use as bait. On the tours I've taken, half the time
the guides are stupid and as ill informed as to what we're going to
see as I am - half the time I know more than they do (that actually
happened in Ireland).

I'd much rather hang with the Navajos than with the nomads of the
Hindu Kush.

Speaking of which, I had the misfortune to make an extended business
trip to India back in my former life. Try that if you want to
experience some "culture".

Worst trip of my life.

Later,

Tom